Monday, June 9, 2014

Beet Galette

This was my most successful galette--with a good balance of filling and crust. I've not cooked with beets myself, so this was a new experience. I found the basic outline for this recipe here and made some changes. I used regular beets, and added some roasted new potatoes to extend it out. The dough was the best--I modified a recipe from Martha Stewart, using half butter and half Greek yogurt. I brushed it with egg white and sprinkled herbs and salt over it. It browned up very nicely!

Here is the recipe for the crust as I modified it. I found that putting it in the freezer after rolling it out, really helped to solidify the fats. I'm hoping to try the crust out this month with a different filling in a proper pie pan. I think reducing the salt would be called for if this was for a sweet application, and of course no herbs!
    • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    • 1/4 c toasted oat bran
    • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    • 1/4 c greek yogurt, whey drained
    • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk

INSTRUCTIONS

    1. In a food processor pulse together all-purpose flour, toasted wheat germ, salt, and baking powder. Add cold, unsalted butter, and process until largest pieces are the size of small peas.
    2. With machine running, add low-fat buttermilk until dough just holds together.
    3. Pat into a disc, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour (or overnight).
    4. After rolling out, roll up in parchment and stick in the freezer for 5-10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment