Friday, March 7, 2014

Blueberry Lemon Compote

So I decided to make more cheesecake cupcakes to use up the last of my yogurt, and because the first batch was so good I wanted more! This time I wanted to amp up the fruit flavor, so rather than just putting frozen blueberries in, like I did last time, I wanted to make a sauce or compote to go in and on top. This is pretty simple, but the flavors pop a lot more than simple frozen blueberries.This is my first time making something like this--though it is similar to making cranberry sauce, just less sugar and less cooking time.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 c sugar or 2 tablespoons stevia baking blend
2 teas cornstarch 
juice and zest from one lemon


I put the frozen blueberries in a small sauce pan, zested and juiced the lemon over them, and sprinkled on the sugar substitute.

This cooks over medium heat until the berries defrost and some of juice from the berries comes out. I drained the juice and whisked in the cornstarch and re-added it to the berries. This cooks for a while to thicken the sauce and for the berries to soften more. Once it has cooked down for a few minutes, I used the immersion blender to puree it


The Verdict: The lemon really brightens up the blueberries and makes it tart and delicious. Since I used meyer lemons it is particularly sweet, without too much sour. I put some in the cheesecakes before cooking them and then topped each one with a generous dollop before eating it. I also used it in my breakfast bowls for flavor. It didn't make enough in my opinion, because I just keep eating it in different things. I think it would be good with yogurt, on ice cream, or as a topping for pound cake. I will be making this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment