Here is the recipe for the crust as I modified it. I found that putting it in the freezer after rolling it out, really helped to solidify the fats. I'm hoping to try the crust out this month with a different filling in a proper pie pan. I think reducing the salt would be called for if this was for a sweet application, and of course no herbs!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 c toasted oat bran
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 c greek yogurt, whey drained
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- In a food processor pulse together all-purpose flour, toasted wheat germ, salt, and baking powder. Add cold, unsalted butter, and process until largest pieces are the size of small peas.
- With machine running, add low-fat buttermilk until dough just holds together.
- Pat into a disc, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour (or overnight).
- After rolling out, roll up in parchment and stick in the freezer for 5-10 minutes